YESTERDAY’S Bithramere Ln fire could have been prevented, Tamworth Rural Fire Service Superintendent Allyn Purkiss said.
The grass fire – caused by a welding accident – quickly spread out of control.
Mr Purkiss is strongly advising all property owners to be fire-prepared.
“That fire showed just how quickly things can get out of hand,” he said.
“The landholder admitted it started from a welding incident. The fire escaped his property and spread onto a neighbour’s. It’s a good time to remind people of the responsibility of making their property fire-safe.
“Letting a fire escape your property can result in a $110,000 fine and/or five years in prison.
“Once convicted, that person is also open to civil action.”
Mr Purkiss recommends property owners implement firebreaks – either mowed, ploughed or slashed – around their home, sheds, storage areas and near fence lines.
“This can slow the spread of a fire,” he said.
He said people should be aware of the legalities surrounding fire control and safety.
“If you are operating machinery, for example, legally you must carry a nine-litre fire extinguisher, a 16L knapsack or a 0.9-kilogram dry-chemical extinguisher,” Mr Purkiss said.
Further information can be found online at www.rfs.nsw.gov.au