TAMWORTH motorists in peak-hour traffic faced short delays along Goonoo Goonoo Rd yesterday morning when a gas main burst outside a motel.
The road was closed in both directions near the scene for about half-an-hour while emergency services, pictured left, attended, but there was no danger posed, despite the presence of dozens of fire brigade, hazmat and police officers and gas company staff.
About 8.30am, workers had been digging up electrical cables with an excavator outside the Frog and Toad Restaurant and Function Centre at the Comfort Inn Hallmark on the corner of Goonoo Goonoo Rd and Thibault St.
During the works, they severed a gas main and emergency services were called immediately.
The motel’s staff were evacuated from the building while they waited for the gas company to arrive and switch off the main.
Fire crews from West Tamworth Fire and Rescue arrived first on scene and were soon followed by police and more fire crews from Carthage St fire station.
Traffic diversions were put in place along the busy road in both directions as people made their way to work.
About four police vehicles were parked at various points, lights flashing, to warn drivers of the closures.
By 9.20am, the situation was deemed under control by police and the road was re-opened.
Tamworth Fire and Rescue station officer Phil Cox said gas had been released into the atmosphere following the accident and the necessary precautions had to be put in place.
Mr Cox said disaster had been averted by the quick actions of the gas company, AGL, whose servicemen arrived shortly after to turn off the gas main.