Family lose the lot in fire

A FAMILY has lost everything in a house fire on Carthage St on Thursday night.

Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Tamworth and West Tamworth were called to the home at 8pm on Thursday and arrived to find the residence well alight.

Residents Binnie Carter, her partner Daniel Finucane and her son Haydn Carter, were not home at the time and no one was injured in the fire, with the family’s dog also escaping injury.

Tamworth FRNSW Inspector Grant O’Regan said the rear of the home was well alight and firefighters gained entry to extinguish the fire. He said the fire had moved into the roof space, though. Due to the nature of the location of the fire, it took some time to extinguish and the rest of the home suffered water and smoke damage.

Inspector O’Regan said the double-brick Federation-style home was not destroyed, but severely damaged.

Tamworth police said there were no suspicious circumstances, but held a crime scene overnight with detectives on the ground. It is believed the fire started from an electrical fault.

Appeal helps repay kindness

By Rebecca Belt

TAMWORTH man Benny Griffiths has started an appeal for a Tamworth family who have been left with nothing after a house fire.

The appeal is a way for Mr Griffiths to ‘pay it forward’ and to repay the family for kindness shown to him in the past.

FIRE DAMAGE: Fire and Rescue NSW firefighters cut into the roof of a home in Carthage St that was severely damaged by fire on Thursday night. Photo: Gareth Gardner 220814GGA03 INSET - PAY IT FORWARD: Benny Griffiths. Photo: Barry Smith 220814BSE02

FIRE DAMAGE: Fire and Rescue NSW firefighters cut into the roof of a home in Carthage St that was severely damaged by fire on Thursday night. Photo: Gareth Gardner 220814GGA03 INSET - PAY IT FORWARD: Benny Griffiths. Photo: Barry Smith 220814BSE02

Binnie Carter, her partner Daniel Finucane and her son Haydn Carter, have been left with the clothes they werestanding in after their home was gutted by a fire on Carthage St on Thursday night.

Mr Griffiths said Ms Carter put him up for six weeks when he was in need, when she was the manager of The Albert Hotel.

Then her son, Haydn asked for casual work while he was between education, so Mr Griffiths employed him at his business, NorthWest Express.

“When Haydn rang me and said his house had burned down, I knew what I had to do,” he said.

“They’ve got nothing. They needs beds, something to sleep on, clothes, heating and a fridge.” 

Mr Griffiths put the appeal up on Facebook through the Tamworth Buy, Swap and Sell pages and the response has been overwhelming.

“The response on Facebook has been phenomenal,” he said.

“I have been inundated with offers of a fridge, beds, mattresses, clothing, dining table, sheets, money and a lounge suite.

“Harvey Norman and Good Guys are putting together packs as well and I’m waiting to hear back from other businesses.”

This isn’t the first time Mr Griffiths has run an appeal of this sort.

Last year he collected furniture and items from around the region after a woman in Gunnedah lost everything she owned in a house fire.

“Some of my mentors have been philanthropists,” he said.

“Whenever I can do something to help, I like to. When people are devastated like this, they don’t know where to turn and can’t think straight, so I wanted to get the ball rolling.” 

A bank account will also be set up for the appeal.

If you can help, contact Mr Griffiths on 0402 272447.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop