LOCAL fire stations had some of their biggest turn outs for their annual open day to promote fire safety.
Children got the chance to learn the stop, drop and roll drills and also got their hands on the tanker hoses as part of a campaign to save lives during the busy winter season.
NSW Fire and Rescue is aiming to spread the message to be vigilant before it’s too late.
“It’s mainly a case of being a bit indifferent about things and thinking that it can’t happen to me,” Moree station officer Scott Beers said.
“We just need people to be aware because the smallest of things can cascade into a disaster. And the cheapest form of insurance is smoke alarms which are now mandatory, because they are lifesavers.”
Fire stations showcased their firefighting equipment on Saturday in a bid to get people thinking as the temperatures slowly begin to subside.
Firefighters know there is plenty of grass around and the frosts aren’t far away.
But it’s inside the home where the most devastation could happen if people don’t think twice.
“Things like clothes dryers and making sure your lint filter is clear, making sure your electric blanket is checked by an electrician before you throw it on, not misusing heaters as clothes dryers,” station officer Beers said.
Anyone with questions about fire safety is urged to contact their local fire station.