Two tons but only one winner

TYSON Rennie and Lachlan Fauchon smacked the first centuries of this year’s instalment of the Ron George Trophy on Monday but came out on differing sides of the ledger.

While Rennie’s Calrossy (1) side defended 7-197 to beat McCarthy, Fauchon’s Farrer 2s fell just short of Oxley’s 9-228.

Fauchon gave them a chance of chasing the runs but couldn’t quite get them home, finishing unbeaten on 100 as they reached 4-194 in reply.

The Farrer 1s did get a win though, accounting for Calrossy (2) by eight wickets at Riverside 2.

Their clash was the lowest-scoring of the round, with Calrossy posting 9-81 and Farrer replying with 2-85 in just seven overs. 

Next door at Riverside 3, Oxley batted first and followed up its  3-237 in the first round with another 200-plus score.

Matt Bryant was again among the runs, hitting 68 to follow his 52 from the first game.

He exploited the new rules that the last ball of each over is a double scoring ball and that each subsequent six in the over after the first is worth 10 runs, with his innings containing a few 10s.

Tom Fitzgerald also chipped in with 34 and Harrison Pettit 33.

Jack Quinn led the charge for Farrer with 3-29 and was well supported by Hayden Size (2-16) and Cooper Barnes (2-25).

Fauchon and Lachlan Cook (51) then did their best to chase the runs down but Farrer couldn’t quite match the run-rate.

Four different bowlers shared the spoils for Oxley, with Pettit taking 1-17, Bryant 1-22, Nicholas Clark 1-32 and Thomas Byrnes 1-36.

Over at Riverside 5, Rennie formed the backbone of Calrossy’s innings after a quick 29 from Brennan Sinclair at the top.

He came in at first drop and batted for 15 of the 20 overs.

“He played sensible cricket, very straight and picked off the 1s and 2s,” Calrossy coach Bruce Veitch said.

He kept the scoreboard ticking over with some good placement interspersed with a good shot for four.

“He ran himself into the ground,” Veitch said.

Reece Chillingworth (2-17) and Matt Dunn (2-25) were the best of the McCarthy bowlers.

McCarthy could then only manage 9-127 in reply, with Beau Alderton hitting 27 and Ketyan Hislop 22.

They struggled to really get any partnerships going, losing wickets in clumps under the weight of some good bowling from McCarthy.

“The bowling was tight, accurate, on top, and hard to score off,” Veitch said.

They tied them down early and McCarthy buckled under the pressure, with several players caught out going for the big shot.

Phil McDermott topped the wickets with 3-27.

Will Burke also claimed 2-22 and Layne Berry 2-5 – trading in the keeping gloves to roll his arm over.

In the other game the Calrossy 2s couldn’t quite match it with Farrer.

They got a pretty steady start, with openers Sam Hunt (20) and Mitch Salter (25) putting on 40-odd for the first wicket, but the innings stuttered after that, with none of the other batsmen reaching double figures.

Brock Ridgewell got the initial breakthrough and finished with 1-10 while Sam Brown claimed 2-13, James Fisk 2-5 and Zac Walters 1-18.

Brown then came out and opened the batting, and hit 18 in a 26-run opening partnership with Tom Maloney (12).

Maloney followed not long after but Corey Sommers (28no) and Campbell Baker (12no) negotiated the rest of the runs without too much trouble.

Salter (1-20) and Nick Reyne (1-38) were the two wicket-takers for Calrossy.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide