Speedsters end up on the flipside


Police have charged a man and woman following a pursuit and crash in Tamworth yesterday morning.

About 10.15am, police from Oxley Traffic and Highway Patrol attempted to stop a Holden Commodore on Anne Street.

A pursuit was initiated after the driver allegedly failed to stop upon request.

The car travelled down a number of streets, before making a left turn into Crown Street, where it allegedly lost control hitting the medium strip, dropping a metre into a split level divided road, flipping the car.

Police will allege that the driver, a 31-year-old man, and a passenger, a 25-year-old woman, ran from the car.

Two further passengers exited the car and assisted officers with a fourth passenger, a 15-year-old boy, who was still in the car.

The boy was taken to Tamworth Base Hospital with a minor hand injury, he was later discharged.

A short time later, the man and woman who ran, were arrested by police and taken to Tamworth Police Station.

The 25-year-old was charged with do act with intent to pervert the course of justice. She was bail refused to appear at Tamworth Local Court today.

The 31-year-old was charged with: Drive motor vehicle during disqualification period. Drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous, Use unregistered registrable Class A motor vehicle on road, Fail to stop and assist after impact cause injury, Police pursuit - not stop - drive dangerously, Use uninsured motor vehicle, Class B/C vehicle displaying unauthorised number plate

He was bail refused to appear at Tamworth Local Court today.


THERE were dramatic scenes in Tamworth yesterday morning after a police chase ended when a car overturned in a suburban street.

The sound of sirens raised the alarm for local residents before they heard the screeching crash just after 10am near the intersection of George and Crown streets.

The bizarre chain of events unravelled even further when a number of the passengers in the white hatchback climbed out of the car and fled on foot.

Police cars raced to the scene and officers flooded the surrounding streets in search of the men and women, with two people arrested on the spot by officers.

Neighbouring resident Ken Halliday said he knew something was up when the police sirens did not let up.

“It was pretty loud and I thought ‘that’s odd’, because usually they just whiz past, but this went on for ages,” he said.

“I had a look out the window and the car was upside-down.”

Residents captured the moments afterwards on their phones as police pulled at least one person from the car.

Witnesses reported the car rolled several times, coming to rest on the street, divided by a grassed nature strip, in the opposite direction.

“The police were searching all round the place for the people involved,” Mr Halliday said.

“There were a lot people around straight away.”

The back-up officers combed the streets and eventually arrested three other people as they tried to evade police.

A 15-year-old boy was treated at the scene for a suspected fractured wrist before being taken to Tamworth hospital in a stable condition.

Fire and Rescue NSW remained on the scene as a precaution for any fuel leaks from the upturned vehicle before it was towed away.

Police were remaining tightlipped on the details surrounding the incident as the crash unit took over the investigation.

Late last night, police confirmed two people were charged following the crash.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide