LATEST: WA bushfire emergency

3:00PM: More than 50 families who already knew their homes had been destroyed by Sunday's fire were allowed to return see the ruins of their houses for the first time.

We have started compiling a gallery of some of the damage which you can view here.

12:00PM: The WA Fire Commissioner and firefighters who battled the Perth hills bushfire, where more than 50 homes were destroyed, say they are frustrated some home owners are not doing enough to prevent fires spreading.

WA Fire Commissioner Wayne Gregson told ABC radio some householders were simply not doing enough to prevent the bushfire threat.

"I don't think they are doing enough, and we have still have people having wonderful houses with the tree line right up to the house," Mr Gregson said.

"I have spoken to some of the volunteers who are still amazed that householders are leaving things to the last minute, who do not have plan, who not know what to do.

"This is not just about the weekend - (the message is) you are leaving it too late, you are not reducing the risk, and the consequences are likely to be severe."

10.45AM: WAtoday reporter Aleisha Orr has reported that media personnel have been criticised for sneaking onto the fire ground in the Perth hills while road blocks remain in place around the fire

Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman Allen Gale said anyone who entered the fire ground without permission from authorities was putting themselves and firefighters on the ground at risk.

"We have a duty of care, so we keep people out of the fire area for their own safety, they can be breaking the law if they disobey us," he said.

Mr Gale said while authorities had not had issues with residents breaching the fire ground, media representatives had been asked to leave on "several occasions."

He said while there would be an opportunity for media to go on the fire ground after residents were taken through on Tuesday morning, the DFES had not given permission to any media organisations to enter the fire ground on Monday.

Mr Gale said anyone who "got around" road blocks would be asked to leave.

10:30AM: The owners of the 52 homes destroyed in the Perth hills bushfire will be allowed to see the remains of their properties today with an escort from emergency authorities

Permits will be issued to allow residents to return to the area of the Perth Hills bushfire from 1pm today after emergency authorities confirmed the fire was officially under control.

9.45AM: Firefighters are continuing to strengthen containment lines and ensure the Parkerville, Stoneville and Mount Helena area is 100 per cent blacked out throughout the day. 

Crews will also be conducting backburning in the area.

The Bushfire Watch and Act alert level will remain until all suppression activities have been completed.

9AM: A Bushfire Watch and Act remains in place for people in the eastern part of Parkerville, Stoneville and Mount Helena in the Shire of Mundaring. 

There is still a possible threat to lives and homes with the potential for strong gusty winds to cause flare ups. 

Conditions in the area remain very dangerous due to unsafe roads, damaged infrastructure, and downed powerlines and trees. There is also the risk of falling tree limbs due to fire damage.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services says residents who live in the area should remain patient and not try to access their home before it is safe to do so.

7AM: Firefighters are battling to control a bushfire in the Perth hills that has now destroyed 52 homes. The Department of Fire and Emergency Services says 270 firefighters and personnel are currently responding to the blaze.

Urban Search and Rescue firefighters will review the area this morning, along with aerial support.

The fire was contained on Monday, as four people feared victims of the fire, were found safe.

The one death attributed to the fire was that of a 62-year-old man in Hovea who collapsed on the roof of his house on Sunday while preparing for the disaster.

Strong gusty winds on Tuesday morning could cause flare ups.

About 1000 properties are without power in parts of Parkerville.

A community meeting will be held at 10am on Tuesday at Brown Park in Swan View on the corner of Amherst Road and Salisbury Road.

HOW YOU CAN HELP: http://www.appealswa.org.au/

EARLIER 

On Monday, a full scale of the damage was revealed, as acting premier Kim Hames announced a $1 million contribution towards the Lord Mayor's Distress Relief for the fire victims. 

Immediate funding for some of those affected is also available with payments up to $3000.

Shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, hairbrushes and hair lackies are now considered luxuries for those who have had to evacuate their homes in the fire ravaged Perth hills.

Laura Bellomo and Jen Schelfhout set up the Perth Hills Bushfire Assistance Facebook page when they heard of the devastation from the bushfires in Parkerville and Stoneville.

"People run out and grab their wallet, a change of clothes and a phone but don't take other bits and pieces," Ms Bellomo said.

She said she expected more people to accept donated items following the news at Monday morning's community meeting that road blocks would likely stay in place for a few days.

"Until this meeting, people weren't sure when they would be able to go back," she said.

Mostly clothes have been donated but other items, such as toys, pet food and toiletries have also.

Ms Bellomo said the items people were most in need of are shampoo, conditioner, hairbrushes and hair elastics.

-With WAToday

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop