Yesterday afternoon Australian authorities intercepted another two asylum seeker boats carrying 55 people.
The day before they intercepted another boat with 211 people on board, the largest number on one vessel to have successfully made its way to Australia.
The vessel was terribly over crowded and was lucky to arrive without incident.
There appears to be a rush of asylum seeker entries at this time, with people prepared to risk everything to reach Australia before there are any changes to asylum seeker policy.
Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare says the people-smugglers are pitching the idea of a closing down sale.
As another chapter in this sorry saga is being written the number of asylum seekers who have reached Australia so far this year has now reached over 7000.
Since the Labor Party came to power in 2007, more than 22,000 asylum seekers have arrived in Australia.
On Monday the former chief of the defence force, Angus Houston, will deliver his report to the government.
He was commissioned a little under two months ago to see if a way forward can be found to break the impasse between the government, the opposition and the Greens on asylum seeker policy.
It will be an important document, but will it contain a solution?
Based on what has been written and said over recent days an outcome appears unlikely.
The opposition still wants Nauru as
a processing destination and temporary protection visas reinstated.
The Greens still want asylum seeker processing on Australian soil and the government wants its Malaysia solution validated.
As good as the former Air Chief Marshall is, he was always facing an uphill battle. There is no consensus position and the opposition is content on leaving the government to answer the growing frustration from the Australian public as the boats keep coming.
It appears the government’s only hope is to give in to the opposition’s demands.
History says that will stop the boats.