100 speedsters nabbed in road blitz

FATALITY-FREE SO FAR

MORE than 100 motorists have been nabbed for speeding as police target local roads.

Oxley, Barwon and New England police have handed out 93 other infringements for traffic offences and booked six people for not wearing a seatbelt.

According to Western Region traffic boss Inspector Jeff Boon, the New England North West is mostly on track with last year’s figures.

“The statistics for crashes are down on last year and that’s pretty good,” he said.

“There appears to be a bit of a reduction in drink-driving, while speeding and seatbelts are about the same.”

But police say motorists still aren’t getting the message.

Almost 3000 people were breath- tested across the three local commands as part of Operation Safe Arrival with a number detected for drink-driving.

A 60-year-old Guyra man will have to front court after he was stopped and failed a roadside breath test in Glen Innes.

Officers stopped the man just before 10am on Sunday where they will allege he returned a high-range reading of 0.156.

His licence was suspended on the spot.

Meanwhile, a 32-year-old P-plater has been charged with low-range PCA in Glen Innes.

The man, who told police he was a Rebels OMCG nominee, is restricted to a zero blood alcohol limit but allegedly returned a reading of 0.072 when he was stopped on Sunday morning.

The Western Region remained fatality-free for the start of the operation and police are hoping no one loses their lives on local roads this year.

“Every available car is on the road because it’s what we call a critical period,” Inspector Boon said. 

“Double demerits continue until midnight on January 2 and we want to remind motorists of that because some people do tend to lapse a bit as the holidays continue.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop