Rock and lock: Rock-throwing duo faces up to 25 years behind bars

TWO men have pleaded guilty to a dangerous police pursuit and rock-throwing spree that almost killed a Guyra man.

Aaron Robert Dare, 28, and 22-year-old Robert Joseph Jackson face up to 25 years in jail and will be sentenced early next year for their involvement in the chase, which happened on November 1, 2012.

The two, who appeared in Sydney District Court, were part of a five-strong gang that’s accused of terrorising motorists and police on the New England Highway and Guyra-Ebor Rd.

Police will allege the four men and a woman pelted rocks at four vehicles – the most serious hitting 29-year-old Pat Garrett.

The Guyra local was driving when he was knocked unconscious after being struck in the head by a rock that was pelted through the windscreen.

His father, who was in the passenger seat, managed to stop the car before his son was rushed to hospital in a critical condition.

Mr Garrett spent months in hospital and has permanent brain injuries. 

Anthony James Glover and Kelvin Mark Muckan, both 23, along with 20-year-old Jayde Amber Mocsay – facing a combined 11 charges – will stand trial for their alleged involvement in the 2012 incident. 

The crime spree first unravelled when highway patrol officers tried to stop the Holden Commodore about 30km north of Glen Innes. 

Police pursued the car but later terminated the chase for safety reasons, after a rock was thrown at an unmarked police car. 

The sedan continued along the highway before turning off onto Guyra-Ebor Rd. Police said Dare then broke into a nearby property, while a passenger was allegedly seen throwing rocks at oncoming traffic.

The gang was eventually arrested after police swarmed the road. 

Dare has pleaded guilty to the police pursuit and using an offensive instrument to avoid apprehension – officers said he used the car as a weapon to avoid arrest, rammed a police car and forced other cars off the road.

He has also pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent to avoid lawful apprehension – stemming from the injuries sustained to Mr Garrett – and aggravated break-and-enter.

Dare admitted his guilt to other offences in a lower court which will also be taken into account when sentencing.

Chief District Court Judge Reg Blanch is presiding over the case and has ordered Dare be sentenced on February 19.

Jackson has pleaded guilty to four charges and will learn his fate on January 17.

All four accused men remain behind bars, while Mocsay has been granted Supreme Court bail.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide