This year The Northern Daily Leader has launched an exciting new competition to find 50 of the most dapper guys and elegant gals at Tuesday’s Melbourne Cup meeting at the Tamworth Jockey Club.
It you fancy showing off your racing finery but don’t want the pressure of entering in the Fashions on the Field, this is perfect for you.
Those interested in entering should keep a look out for one of our snappers who will be roving around the Jockey Club grounds on the day.
From the entries, we’ll select the Hot 50 and publish the pictures in the newspaper and online.
Then it’s over to our readers to vote.
Racegoers judged first, second and third will take home $400, $200 and $100 respectively in appreciation for their efforts.
And if you’re struggling to decide what to wear, don’t despair.
The Leader has enlisted Style For You personal stylist Tracey Cullen to divulge some fashion tips to help punters prepare.
Tracey’s do’s and don’ts of race day fashion
* Colours are big for Melbourne Cup – think oranges, pinks and pastels
* Try white garments with colourful accessories
* Lace – keep it simple and edgy using leather and metallic accessories
* Hats – this year they’re small and structured, rather than wide-brimmed
* Vintage-styles – think 1940s and 1950s
* Block/wedge heels or thicker heel are popular
* Remember, it’s daywear, not nightwear, so don’t let it all hang out
* The fit of your suit is everything
* A slim fit suit with one or two buttons in a lightweight fabric is best
* A charcoal or grey suit rather than black suit will help combat the heat
n Leather shoes and belts – brown is big now