TAMWORTH detectives are on the hunt for those responsible for yet another suspicious fire at an abandoned home.
For the third time Fire and Rescue NSW as well as police were called to the charred Green St home late on Wednesday afternoon when a blaze broke out.
The house had been destroyed in two previous fires and was fenced off to stop people from entering.
Inspector Grant O’Regan said firefighters must attend each and every job they’re called to, meaning arsonists could be taking crews away from an emergency situation.
“They have to stop being selfish because they’re putting other people at risk,” he said.
“It’s in the nature of firefighters to help people and not to waste time.
“They find it extremely disappointing and it prevents them from being called to an accident or another substantial fire.”
But he warns back up could be sometime away if an emergency breaks out.
“Tamworth is a large place and we have a big area to cover and a lot of emergencies to attend to,” Inspector O’Regan said.
“It takes time for other resources to come because Tamworth is isolated.”
It took crews about 15 minutes to douse the Green St blaze but Inspector O’Regan said the job was extremely frustrating.
“We don’t really know who is behind it, whether it is some kids lighting fires or if it’s someone that likes to see the fire engine in attendance,” he told The Leader.
“But what they don’t realise is a fire can escape; it can turn
into something much bigger.”
Police door-knocked surrounding homes for any witnesses to the blaze, but Tamworth detectives say the fire is suspicious.
An investigation has been set up and they’re calling for anyone with information to come forward.
Inspector O’Regan warned the public torching homes was incredibly dangerous.
“It’s putting people at risk who are entering these structures to extinguish the fires, but also at risk are those who are playing in structures that are actually structurally dangerous,” he said.
“They could put a foot through a floorboard or have a roof collapse on them, making it a real risk.”
Meanwhile, fire has destroyed a house in Bingara.
The fire broke out in the Gwydir St home just before 7.30pm on Wednesday.
When fire crews from Bingara and Warialda arrived, the home was completely engulfed and there was little they could do to save any possessions.
It took some time to bring the blaze under control. No one was home at the time, but one woman at the scene was treated for smoke inhalation.
Forensic crews are trying to work out what sparked the blaze.