A man will appear in court tomorrow after an alleged shooting incident at Kootingal on Friday night.
It’s alleged about 11.30pm Friday, a 36-year-old man took a .223 calibre semi-automatic rifle into a caravan at a holiday park on the New England Highway at Kootingal.
Police will further allege that while inside the caravan he pointed the gun at two men, aged 38 and 45, before walking a short distance and firing a number of shots. No one was injured.
The man then allegedly returned to the caravan and started to assault the two men inside.
Police officers were called to a nearby reserve by residents and searched there before being redirected to the caravan park.
They secured the firearm and used OC spray to subdue the men, arresting the 36-year-old and one of the others. They were taken to Tamworth Police Station where the second man was released without charge.
The 38-year-old was charged with a number of firearms offences including:
- Possess loaded firearm public place
- Possess unregistered unauthorised prohibited firearm in public place
- Possess unauthorised prohibited firearm
- Possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit
- Not keep firearm safely-prohibited firearm
- Fire firearm in or near public place
- Common assault
- Stalk/intimidate intend fear or physical harm
He was refused bail and will appear before Tamworth Bail Court on Sunday.