TAMWORTH Regional Council (TRC) has supported a recommendation that allows it to bestow another civic honor and award keys to the city to a deserving nominee.
Mayor Col Murray in a special Mayoral Minute to last night’s council meeting supported the recommendation to bestow the first ever key to the city, although the name of the
inaugural recipient was kept confidential.
So new is the honour, that TRC did not even have a policy for the award when the nomination was received.
Last night councillors were asked to consider adopting criteria used by Wollongong council for future nominations, including that recipients don’t have to be Tamworth residents but their achievements have to have close ties with the Tamworth community.
They would also need to have a significant, worthy or notable profile. The key would be presented to acknowledge a high level of achievement or heroic service and a contribution to the region, state or Australian or world affairs.
The highest honor at present that can be awarded is being named an honorary freeman of the city.
The ancient office of freemen of the city is awarded to a resident or citizen who council deems has given distinguished and meritorious service to their community and, as a result, i, granted the privilege in recognition of their efforts.
The city of Tamworth has 10 freeman with nine of those decisions of the former Tamworth City Council and the last one awarded after the amalgamation of Tamworth, Manilla, Nundle, and part of Parry and Barraba shires into Tamworth Regional Council in 2004.
FREEMEN OF THE CITY OF TAMWORTH
* The 12/16th Hunter River Lancer Regiment awarded 1960.
* Bishop of Armidale, the Right Reverend John Moyes awarded 1964.
* Governor of NSW, Sir Arthur Roden Cutler, awarded 1980
* Malcolm Keys (town clerk 1964-1986), awarded 1986
* Alderman Raymond Walsh (elected 17 December, 1949), awarded 1989
* E Noel Park (State MP 1973-1991), awarded 1991
* June Park, awarded 1991
* Councillor David John (elected 21 September 1975, mayor 1987-1995), awarded 1995
* Tamworth historian Lyall Green, awarded 2004
* Former Tamworth mayor and retired chairman of Tourism Tamworth Warwick Bennet, awarded 2008.