46yo Narrabri man found dead in unit

POLICE are investigating the death of a 46-year-old man whose body was reportedly found beaten at a Narrabri unit complex yesterday morning.

The death is believed to have occurred overnight on Tuesday.

The man’s body was found before 10am yesterday in the Nandewar St home.

Police and ambulance paramedics were called to the scene shortly after.

An ambulance media spokesman said paramedics arrived about 9.55am and confirmed the man was deceased.

Police soon established a crime scene, cordoning off the area with police tape and vehicles parked on the road.

Initial reports suggested the body was found next to an amount of blood and the back door of the unit had been left open.

Barwon Local Area Command crime manager Detective Inspector Gavin Rattenbury said at this stage police considered the death suspicious and hadn’t ruled out foul play.

Detective Inspector Rattenbury said there appeared to be injuries to the man’s body and, as of late yesterday afternoon, they would not be releasing the name of the victim.

He told The Leader the man lived alone.

The crime scene was examined by officers and detectives yesterday, who tried to establish the circumstances surrounding his death.

While the death is a local investigation at this time, Barwon police have been in consultation with the state crime homicide squad.

It is understood a post mortem of the body will be conducted at Newcastle.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Barwon police on 6752 9499.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop