Citizens help Tamworth police catch criminals 

THE Tamworth community is fighting back against crime, with four offenders arrested in two days of citizen justice.

A Tamworth man who was strangled with a power cord during an aggravated break and enter turned the tables on his 28-year-old offender, subduing him until police arrived.

The incident happened just after midnight yesterday, a doorknock on a Macquarie St home going unnoticed by the home’s occupants, a 28-year-old man and his mother.

They were awoken abruptly when an unknown male crashed through the flyscreen of the kitchen window. The male occupant confronted the offender in the kitchen.

The offender then wrapped a power cord from an appliance around the throat of the man and began to choke him. The victim’s mother intervened and the cord was broken.

Police were called and the male was arrested. He was later charged with aggravated break and enter, committing an indictable offence and using an offensive implement to avoid apprehension.

In another incident a photograph snapped of a young offender who embarked on a West Tamworth crime spree with three friends on Wednesday has resulted in the arrest of all three.

Yesterday The Leader reported the trail of destruction left by the trio, with two cars stolen, a home broken into and a fence destroyed.

Further attempts were made to break into a home and vehicle on the same night but were unsuccessful.

The crime came unstuck due to a quick-thinking witness, who saw a stolen car crash through the fence of the West Tamworth Sports and Bowling Club and grabbed their camera.

Following the offenders into Belmore Park, the resident took a photograph of one of the trio, which clearly identified the offender who was known to police.

Tamworth police arrested a 15, a 16 and a 17-year-old on Thursday morning and said the photograph was instrumental in catching out the trio.

The three juveniles faced Tamworth Children’s Court yesterday and were charged with a raft of offences.

Oxley Local Area Command crime manager Phil O’Reilly said the incidents were great examples of the community assisting police to do their job.

The 17-year-old was charged with stealing and driving a stolen car, entering enclosed lands and driving while unlicensed. 

The other two teenagers were charged with entering enclosed lands without a lawful excuse, being carried in a conveyance without the consent of the owner and breach of bail.

The 16-year-old was also charged with goods in custody following a search on a Phillip St property.

All three teenagers were refused bail. The 16-year-old will reappear on March 5 and the 15- and 17-year-old will reappear on February 19.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide