Clean up begins after North West storm

*View a time lapse video of the storm in Tamworth here

THE State Emergency Service will join residents of the North West in their clean up efforts after savage storms swept through the region last night.

About 5100 homes reportedly were still without power at 10.30am, the majority were in Tamworth, Quirindi, Moree, Gunnedah and Narrabri.

At the height of the storm, 25,000 homes across the region were left without power according to Essential Energy.

The energy provider estimates around 60 power poles will have to be replaced.

 Do you have photos? Send them to

The SES received 221 requests for assistance, Tamworth being the most affected with 56 calls coming through to volunteers.

Gunnedah SES crews responded to 26 calls, Wee Waa with 21, Narrabri with 12 , Quirindi with 6 and Boggabri with 56.

The majority of the calls were for assistance with fallen trees and roof damage.

Nine SES crews will be responded to outstanding requests today, but say they've been hampered in attending some call outs because of live wires brought down by storms.

Essential Energy crews were working today to restore power to affected homes.

*A map of SES call outs from last night's storm.

Councils busy with clean up

THE storm that blew through Tamworth and surrounds late on Sunday afternoon kept tree and road crews from Tamworth Regional Council busy yesterday.

A group of five workers worked through most of the night to clear trees with limbs blown down during the winds. 

A road crew was busy helping to clear the roadways and ensure roads with significant damage were closed. 

Yesterday Cameron's Rd and the Weabonga Road were both closed to motorists for a time. 

An electrician was called in to Jumbuck Cottage in Bicentennial Park yesterday after reports the evaporative cooler on the roof of the building was struck by lightning. 

The Weabonga Rd was cleared by the Rural Fire Service during the day. 

Half of the roof at the Barraba Showground's stables was ripped off in the gale force winds. 

A spokeswoman for Tamworth Regional Council said it was likely the clean up from the storm would continue into today.

What caused it?

 WIND gusts of more than 120km/h hour were recorded in the North West last night as severe thunderstorms swept through the region.

Tamworth and Narrabri are believed to be some of the worst affected areas across the region but the Bureau of Meteorology says there's a chance of more storms over the coming days.

Moree weather bureau duty manager Alison Skinn told Fairfax the evening storm was caused by a low pressure trough which moved through the state over the weekend combined with the hot conditions.

The trough had been moving through the south of the state and made its way up to the North West since Thursday.

With power outages recorded across the state, the weather bureau itself was not exempt from the fallout, with four hours without power affecting their data recording.

Ms Skinn said wind gusts of 128km/h were recorded in Narrabri while gusts of 126km/h were recorded in Tamworth.

Cooler conditions and temperatures were expected today however Moree was ecpected to have a top temperature of 37 degrees.

"For Monday and Tuesday around the region, generally we'll be back to more average temperatures,"Ms Skinn said. "Later in the week it'll heat up again, perhaps on Saturday there'll be temperatures in the low 40s in Narrabri and Moree."

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide