76 drink-drivers nabbed in 16 days of operation in western region

OPERATION Safe Arrival wrapped up last Friday at 11.59pm, with 17 deaths in 16 days on NSW roads but none in our region.

During the operation, in the western region – which includes the New England and North West – officers conducted 39,781 breath tests, with 76 drink-driving offences recorded.

There were 106 seatbelt offences, 1207 speeding offences and 1054 other infringements issued.

Traffic Services commander Assistant Commissioner John Hartley said Operation Safe Arrival had recorded some mixed results, with most offences down compared to last year.

“Sadly, more than one person a day was killed on NSW’s roads during this holiday period. While the 17 deaths was two lower compared to last year, this is still far too many,” he said.

“A review of all the crashes has shown that most were as a result of drivers disobeying the law or making a mistake that proved fatal.

"What was also concerning was the increase in people caught drink-driving. Nearly 100 more people were caught this year, showing a blatant disregard for the road rules, their safety and the safety of other motorists.

"While Operation Safe Arrival has now concluded, I can assure you that police will continue to target irresponsible drivers, speeding, drink-driving and seatbelt offences.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop