Accidents result in serious injuries on Tamworth roads

TWO accidents have resulted in serious injuries to two people in the Oxley Local Area Command on day eight of Operation Safe Arrival.

A woman in her 40s was taken to Tamworth hospital in a serious but stable condition after her vehicle left the road at Bective on the Oxley Highway just before 1pm yesterday.

Paramedics also attended a single vehicle accident on the New England Highway at Moonbi at about midday yesterday, after a mini-van had reportedly left the road and rolled down an embankment. 

A 48-year-old man was treated for chest injuries and was taken to Tamworth hospital in a serious but stable condition.

Halfway through the 14-day Operation Safe Arrival the NSW road toll has risen to seven, six less than at the same time last year.

Heavy traffic and queues stretching up to 25 kilometres on the Pacific Highway, Sydney F3 freeway and Princes Highway yesterday has added hours to travel times for road users, while there have been no major delays reported along highways in the New England North West.

“Traffic along the New England Highway is busy but steady,” New England Acting Inspector Gemma Gallagher said yesterday.

“We’re pretty happy with the behaviour of our drivers so far, but with rain forecast today, we are reminding them to be mindful of road conditions.”

Inspector Gallagher said New England Local Area Command police conducted 332 breath tests across their region on day seven of the operation, with 28 traffic infringement notices issued.

Across the Western region police conducted 3273 random breath tests and issued 179 traffic infringement notices, including 88 for speeding and two for seatbelt offences.

Throughout NSW, police have reported that driver behaviour has been generally better than across the same period last year, with speeding, seatbelt and other traffic offence numbers down.

The operation began at midnight on Friday December 21 and concludes at 11.59pm on Friday January 4, with double demerits issued for all offences.

Commander of the NSW Traffic and Highway Patrol Command, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, says that too many motorists are still drink-driving.

“While the numbers across the four main categories are down from last year, there is still plenty of room for improvement,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

“At the end of the day all we want to see is motorists behaving responsibly and getting to their destinations safely.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop